Why spend money on Lady M when you can make your own mille crepe at home? 20 layers? Pft, check out this 32-layer homemade matcha mille crepe recipe. It’s SUPER easy, but also super time consuming.
This recipe makes a 6″ cake with 32 layers. Put your own spin on it; use this base recipe to make any flavour you fancy (i.e. chocolate, earl grey, matcha, original + fruit, etc).
Mille crepe recipe
- 45g unsalted butter
- 350g milk (almond or soy milk also works)
- 3 eggs
- 110g flour (I used 50g cake flour and 60g bread flour because I don’t have AP flour)
- 50g sugar
- pinch of salt
For this matcha mille crepe recipe I added 3 heaping spoons of Uji matcha we brought back from Kyoto.
- 400ml whipping cream
- As much/little icing sugar depending on your sweetness preference
- Matcha powder to taste (substitute for cocoa powder, vanilla, or whatever flavour you like)
- Melt butter on the stove top in a small saucepan over medium heat, remove from heat once it turns slightly brown
- Heat milk in microwave on high for 1-2min
- Whisk eggs, flour, sugar, salt, and matcha powder in a big bowl
- Add butter and milk to mixture, whisk until smooth
- Chill batter in the fridge for at least 2 hours
Note: Chilling lets the gluten relax which improves the flavor and texture of your crepes. I’ve made batter before without letting it chill and the texture was slightly rubbery… so be patient and allow the gluten work its magic!
- Chill mixer bowl and whisks in fridge for at least 20 minutes
- Whisk whipping cream, sugar and matcha powder in cold bowl on high speed until stiff peaks form
- Remove batter from fridge and stir thoroughly (always stir before making the next crêpe)
- Heat a 6″ non-stick pan on low heat, brush pan with a very thin layer of oil
- Scoop batter with a small ladle into the pan and swirl it around to coat entire surface (it’s all in the wrist!)
- Loosen the sides with chopsticks and flip the crêpe after 45 seconds or so, until the top dries
- Cook for another 30 seconds and remove crêpe from pan
- Repeat until all layers are done! You should be able to make 32 layers with this recipe
- Assemble; spread a thin layer of cream on crêpe. Repeat
- Chill cake in fridge for 2+ hours. Dust with icing sugar and matcha powder before serving!
Tip: Remove pan from heat when you add and swirl the batter. This will prevent your crêpe from cooking too quickly.
Tip: Make sure you cook the crêpes on low heat, otherwise the crêpe won’t cook evenly.
Tip: Remove pan from heat when you flip. The easiest way is to loosen the edges with chopsticks, gently pick up the crêpe with your fingertips and flip, and smooth it out with a spatula.
Make sure you let the batter chill in the fridge! I made this strawberry and kiwi mille crepe without chilling and while it was good, it was on the rubbery side. Look at the difference in the texture and thickness.
The finished product: super soft, melt in your mouth homemade matcha mille crepe!